I have quite a few silver fillings and I want to have them out and replaced with white fillings. When I asked my dentist about it, he pretty much told me he wouldn’t remove them because it not safe and I could ingest mercury. Isn’t there anyone who can remove my fillings safely? — Michael
Many dentists are concerned that silver fillings do release mercury gas that can be harmful. Mercury is a toxic substance, so old amalgam filling (which can contain more than 50% mercury) should most definitely be removed in the safest manner possible. Chewing, brushing and teeth grinding can release small amounts of mercury vapor, but the removal process can be the most dangerous if not done very carefully and under safe conditions. A “mercury-free dentist” is specifically trained to safely remove old amalgams, minimizing the effect of mercury exposure. They understand the need for the right equipment and tools to do the job correctly. The ADA recognizes mercury containing amalgams as acceptable filling material, so many dentists will use it regularly, as well as advise not to remove them unless there is decay or cracks. Do your own research about the hazards of mercury based fillings, and seek out a mercury-free dentist that can replace them.
This blog post is brought to you by Des Moines cosmetic dentist, Dr. Phelan Thomas. For more information on the services he provides, please visit his Des Moines cosmetic dentist website.